Monday, November 3, 2014

Peoria Week 62 * October 20, 2014

Buenos tardes mi amigos!

I really hope that everything is going just great for you where ever
you might be. The sun is still shining and tomorrow will be a new day.
Sometimes that all I have to keep telling myself. And other times I
really wish the days would not end. I guess that's the trial of it all
right? There are good days and there are bad. This week was full of
both.

The good days were not just good but they were great. Since I am a
zone leader I get to go on a few more exchanges with different elders
in the zone. They are mainly the district leader but if we feel
another companionship needs a little training or help in some area of
missionary work then we can go on one with them too. I went on one
exchange with Elder Handy and one with Elder Rodriguez. Elder Handy
has been out for 20 months and is winding down. It is taking a toll on
him so I really wanted to help light a little fire under him and keep
him going strong. We had a great day filled with contacting people on
the street and appointments with a bunch of less active members. We
were on bikes so I got to have a little fun with that too. I'm not
going to lie and say he was t impressed with my wheelie skills. They
have become quite impressive. We had some good heart to heart talks
and I really was able to find out where he is coming from. He is a
great kid and is an amazing missionary. At the end of the exchange he
complimented me on my maturity and my leadership skills. It was kinda
weird. I was thinking that I did a bad job haha but I guess the lord
really does help you accomplish the things he needs you to.

Elder Rodriguez is from Argentina so his English is getting up to
speed. His mom taught him English back home so that definitely helped
him. He has only been out for 8 weeks but man he is just cruising
along. You would never guess he has been out such a short time. He is
a hard worker and a lot of fun to be around. I got to drive our truck
in our area and boy was that a treat! I haven't driven in 14 months so
I was a little rusty for the first little bit but it all came back
after 10 minutes or so haha. We had a tough time getting into the
doors of people's homes but that didn't stop us from having a great
exchange.

We have a less active named Andy who is amazing. He is setting tons of
goals to come back to the church and get himself to the temple. We had
a lesson where we taught him about faith, repentance, baptism,
receiving the gift of the holy ghost, and enduring to the end. We
asked him tons of questions and he basically taught us the whole
thing. We ware excited to help him along his journey. He has a tough
living situation and work schedule but he is making the most of it. We
set a date to go to the Phoenix Temple open house with him and that
will be great. He is excited!

We went to the temple open house as a district on Friday and it was
AMAZING! It is such a pretty temple. From the outside it doesn't look
so big but actually it is pretty big on the inside. Their is symbolism
is everything and the agave plant is designed into the whole temple.
The place was packed with people with is not a bad thing at all. So
many teaching opportunities will come from this. We are excited that
we get to sing in the temple celebration with the youth and be apart
of the whole thing.

I hope you all have a great week! I want to thank you for the emails
and letters. They are always welcomed. Love you all.

Until next week,
Elder Cole Safford

No comments:

Post a Comment